any hosts offer website backups … but are they really enough? In this post, we cover 10 questions to ask before you rely on a host’s backup alone.
Why Backup Your WordPress Website?
Why should you care about website backups? Just like insurance for your home or car, backups are “insurance” that protects you from website disaster.
It sounds scary, but the reality is your website could be lost forever if you don’t have a backup system in place.
For example, website backups are necessary to protect your website from:
- Security issues (including hacks and malware)
- User error (accidentally deleting files or running bad commands)
- Updates that break things (like updating a theme or plugin to a new version, uploading a new plugin, changing themes or making tweaks to theme or plugin files)
- Data loss outside of your control (like server crashes or fatal errors)
Since WordPress doesn’t include built-in backups, you’ll need to find a backup solution, whether that’s a WordPress backup plugin or an outside service provided by your host.
When reviewing a host’s backup service, here are some important questions to ask:
- 1. How often do backups run?
- 2. How long are backups stored?
- 3. What are the backup size storage limits?
- 4. What do the backups include?
- 5. Can I initiate a backup whenever I want/need one?
- 6. Can I access the backup files myself?
- 7. Where are backups stored?
- 8. How easy is it to do a restore from a backup?
- 9. Can I restore just the files or database tables I need?
- 10. Can I use a backup to migrate my website to a new host or domain?